It’s a treat yo self while trying to accomplish as much as possible from a coffee shop kinda Friday.
What are you doing to make yourself happy today? Besides enjoying some of my Friday favorites below, of course …
- Strong is the new pretty: This mom takes fierce and empowering photos of her daughters, and they’re amazing.
- Put an egg on it: Hands down the best life advice ever.
- Spring citrus kale salad recipe: Helloooo, lunch!
- Yoga poses to relieve stress: Enjoy some relaxing me-time with these gentle, restorative poses.
- The Bay Area’s best staircases: Incorporate these bad boys into your next outdoor run!
- Shelter dogs in a photo booth: Get ready to squeeee your way through this article.
- 27 inspirational Ron Swanson-isms: Because, Friday.
The way I see it, “cooking slow” doesn’t always have to involve slaving away in the kitchen for hours. Whether dinner prep takes 20 minutes or 5 hours, taking some time to consciously prepare a heartfelt and healthy meal using the best ingredients at your disposal is the foundation of a happy, delicious meal.
Take this Spicy Asian Chicken Salad recipe, for example. Brimming with flavor, it didn’t take long at all to prepare, and was the perfect go-to dinner after an evening workout. Whatever it looks like, I promise it’s delicious, and (at least to my palate) slightly spicy thanks to the addition of jalapeno and Sriracha.
I’ve made similar Thai-inspired salads with a more ginger-y appeal, cilantro, and a slightly different vinaigrette, but this one, based off of Linda Wagner’s recipe, offered a delicious alternative.
Spicy Asian Chicken Salad Recipe
(modified from Linda Wagner’s recipe)
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 jalapeno, sliced finely and cut into halves
- 1 large cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 tbsp toasted cashews or peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (tamari or soy sauce work too)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- juice of 2 limes
Place all ingredients into a large plastic bag and shake vigorously until well mixed. Pour into bowls or onto plates. Enjoy!